OBLIGATORY LINKS PAGE
This page represents things that I like. Always a work in progress. Updated 10/18/02.
NOT EXPLICITLY MUSIC
- Catsup Plate: Rob put out my first Yak Ampersand tapes and continues to put out great stuff, now on durable and respectable formats. Well worth your preferred unit of currency.
- Blackbean and Placenta Tape
Club: Now located in genuinely scenic Frazier Park, CA, this label
put out some stuff of mine, as well as several notable releases by Gang
Wizard and many others, some truly transcendent.
- Unread Records
: Tape label located in Omaha, Nebraska that released a weird Celesteville
tape as well as many other fine releases. Correspondence with Chris
Fischer is guaranteed to be amusing and he draws great decapitated birds.
Paul Dickow's wonderful label makes homemade stuff that sounds good and looks
good as well.
Duck: Aerick Duckhugger's label is the home of all sorts of nice tapes
and his artwork puts mine to shame. No updates for a while but Aerick still kicks ass.
- Flying Nun: You may
not know that this seminal New Zealand label is still around, and, since
the NZ dollar is in the toilet, its products are surprisingly cheap for us
Americans, even with postage. Value!
- www.cannanes.com: A site of
- Quesadilla Records: Enthusiastic
new label out of dusty Cerritos, CA that released Lingua Ignota; worth visiting for the frequent HTML changes alone! Note new address (10/02)
- KUCI-FM: An oasis with sweet fruit
and flowing water and springs of maple syrup in the middle of the desert.
- Corwood Industries: Not exactly
an official site, but it's what you might expect in the Jandek universe.
- Flimsy Cavern:
Mysterious comics from Billis and Steve of luv(sic). You should also email them and ask them about their fine cassettes and CD's. I've been listening to The Icky Kent Tape all the time these days.
- Airborne Virus
: Sean from Minmae's label, loads of action to be had from this quality musician and noted Portland thinker. Note new address (10/02).
- The Iditarod: Mysterious
Providence, RI combo harnessing ghost energy to drag chains across stark
wooden floors in cold rooms.
- Best Kept Secret is an Italian tape label that just oozes love.
- Deathbomb Arc: Brian Miller
(of Blue Sonoco, Rose 4 Bohdan, oh god it goes on forever) and his musical/textual
project. An internal logic that is quite consistent and a constant
raising of hairs on the back of necks.
- Last Plane to Jakarta: Surely by now you are familiar with John Mountain Goats Darnielle's enthusiastic and skillful music ramblings! Or you should be!
- Sonic Enemy: Peter Hughes' page, many pictures and the occasional Inland Empire-related audio tidbit.
- Seagull: Mysterious noisy sounds from Omaha, home of the infamous Naturaliste, among others.
- Digitalis Records: Some people just go through high school in a trance, but Aaron Knoll and Michael Gorman make prog-rock epics with titles like "Metalichromatica" and name their band after a brand of vomit remover! God bless the youth of Buffalo, NY!
- Bronwyn: This band will change your life. I play bass.
- Sad Penguin Records: Chris and Charlotte (of the Minor Thirds and Flim) and their fabulous record label, our enthusiastic bowling partners, neighbors, collaborators. Great stuff, songwriting overdrive.
- Ross and the Hellpets: Do you want to be happy, and tap your toes to music? Ross can help.
- Sauvie Island Moon Rocket Factory: Dave K's idiosyncratic musical universe swings like a starling and undulates like the muscles of a cat watching a starling.
- Corndogs.org: The Minutemen will kick ass forever.
- The IPRC is Portland's premier self-publishing resource and they let me use their printing press and borrow lots of King-Cat comics.
- Common Dreams: Daily headlines
for left-wing types, a frequent stopover.
Terrifying and beautiful comics and cosmology.
- Highwater Books: Worthy comics from Ron Rege, James Kochalka, John Porcellino, Ivan Brunetti, etc, plenty of web content and frequent specials to boot.
- Ivan Brunetti's web page, our favorite overeducated nihilist doodler of funny pages.
- Flim is full of words and pictures.
- Starting Small is Missy Kulik's boutique of charming doodle zines and items. Elfs, apes.
- The Unofficial Homepage of Eamon Games: We here at Tape Mountain are not ashamed of our geek status. Eamon is a series of public-domain adventures for Apple // and we are proud Eamonauts.
- The TRS-80 Model 100 is our laptop of choice, robust and ancient and eminently usable. The link is to Club 100, who repair and offer software for these beasts--minus points for the "never forgive--let's roll" comment, though, because we are in favor of forgiveness and not so into "let's roll".
- Diversified Systems Group, Inc.: Our current source for high-quality Taiyo Yuden CD-R media, pretty cheap if you buy in quantity, and what a catchy name, huh?
back to Tape Mtn. HQ